Politicians Decry Cuts, Point Fingers
Connecticut's Democratic Gov. Dan Malloy said it is past time for both sides to sit down to help dodge cuts that will hurt all states' budgets.
"Come to the table, everyone. Everybody. Let's work this thing out. Let's be adults," Malloy said.
Sen. John McCain (R., Ariz.) called those defense cuts "unconscionable" and urged Obama to call lawmakers to the White House or the presidential retreat of Camp David for a last-minute budget summit.
"I won't put all the blame all on the president of the United States. But the president leads. The president should be calling us over somewhere -- Camp David, the White House, somewhere -- and us sitting down and trying to avert these cuts," McCain said.LaHood, who served as a Republican representing Illinois in the U.S. House, urged his colleagues to watch Steven Spielberg's film about President Abraham Lincoln's political skills. "Everybody around here ought to go take a look at the Lincoln movie, where they did very hard things by working together, talking together and compromising," said LaHood. "That's what's needed here." LaHood and Duncan were the only of representatives from the administration to appear on Sunday shows. Barbour, Malloy and McCain appeared on CNN's "State of the Union." McCaskill was interviewed on "Fox News Sunday." Ayotte, Duncan and Kaine spoke with CBS' "Face the Nation." LaHood appeared on both CNN and NBC. No one from the White House was scheduled to appear. ___ Follow Philip Elliott on Twitter: https://twitter.com/philip_elliott
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV