45 Arrested In Spain After Anti-austerity Protest
MADRID (AP) â¿¿ Spanish police say they arrested 45 people, including nine minors, in street violence after a large anti-austerity protest outside parliament. Dozens sustained minor injuries.
Tens of thousands of people marched to parliament to demonstrate against tax hikes, spending cuts, sky-high unemployment and alleged corruption. As the protest ended late Saturday, groups of youths threw bar chairs into a road and burned garbage containers.
Police later found four firebombs in a backpack abandoned on a street. The Interior Ministry says officers then seized 22 firecrackers, five flares and a stick from two minors near Madrid's main railway station.
The ministry also said in a statement Sunday that 40 people, including 12 police officers, received minor injuries in the clashes. Two of the officers received hospital treatment.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV