Warnings and Precautions
Increased mortality, myocardial infarction, stroke, and thromboembolism:
- Using ESAs to target a hemoglobin level of greater than 11 g/dL increases the risk of serious adverse cardiovascular reactions and has not been shown to provide additional benefit. Use caution in patients with coexistent cardiovascular disease and stroke. Patients with CKD and an insufficient hemoglobin response to ESA therapy may be at even greater risk for cardiovascular reactions and mortality. A rate of hemoglobin rise of >1 g/dL over 2 weeks may contribute to these risks.
- In controlled clinical trials of ESAs in patients with cancer, increased risk for death and serious adverse cardiovascular reactions including myocardial infarction and stroke was observed.
- There is increased mortality and/or increased risk of tumor progression or recurrence in patients with cancer receiving ESAs.
- In controlled clinical trials of ESAs, ESAs increased the risk of death in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft surgery (CABG) and deep venous thrombosis (DVT) in patients undergoing orthopedic procedures.
- In 2 trials of OMONTYS, patients with CKD not on dialysis experienced increased specific cardiovascular events.
Hypertension (see Contraindications): Appropriately control hypertension prior to initiation of and during treatment with OMONTYS. Reduce or withhold OMONTYS if blood pressure becomes difficult to control.
Serious allergic reactions (see Contraindications): Serious allergic reactions, including anaphylactic reactions, hypotension, bronchospasm, angioedema and generalized pruritus, may occur in patients treated with OMONTYS. Immediately and permanently discontinue OMONTYS and administer appropriate therapy if a serious allergic reaction occurs.Lack or loss of response to OMONTYS: Initiate a search for causative factors. If typical causes of lack or loss of hemoglobin response are excluded, evaluate for antibodies to peginesatide. Dialysis management: Patients receiving OMONTYS may require adjustments to dialysis prescriptions and/or increased anticoagulation with heparin to prevent clotting of the extracorporeal circuit during hemodialysis. Laboratory monitoring: Evaluate transferrin saturation and serum ferritin prior to and during OMONTYS treatment. Administer supplemental iron therapy when serum ferritin is less than 100mcg/L or when serum transferrin saturation is less than 20%. Monitor hemoglobin every 2 weeks until stable and the need for RBC transfusions is minimized. Then, monitor monthly. Adverse reactions Most common adverse reactions in clinical studies in patients with CKD on dialysis treated with OMONTYS were dyspnea, diarrhea, nausea, cough, and arteriovenous fistula site complication.