BALTIMORE, Feb. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon today hosted a statewide Black History Month celebration and open house with government and community leaders at the Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History & Culture. The event was free and open to the public.
During the open house, guests explored the museum, recognized community innovators, and enjoyed a day full of educational activities and entertainment. There was food, educational gifts for the first 200 children, laptop door prizes and more.
Guests at this year's open house included Maryland Senator and President-Elect of the National Black Caucus of State Legislators Catherine Pugh; Maryland Delegate and Chair of the Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland Aisha N. Braveboy; Maryland Attorney General Douglas F. Gansler; and Bishop Douglas I. Miles, co-chair of Baltimore United in Leadership Development. The Baltimore City College Choir also performed during a special recognition program at noon.
"At Verizon, diversity is as much about good business practice as it is the right thing to do," said Tabb Bishop, Verizon's vice president of government affairs – Mid-Atlantic region. "Verizon serves some of the country's most diverse markets. So, diversity always has been a part of our culture and an integral part of our business strategy."Our long-standing commitment is based on a culture of inclusiveness that leverages the diversity of employees, customers, suppliers and community partners," Bishop added. "Black History Month is a great opportunity for us to celebrate and honor those individuals who have made a significant contribution and commitment in the past, and those who continue to make a difference today." During the special program, Verizon recognized key Marylanders in the areas of community service, education and healthcare. Recipients of the 2013 Verizon Community Innovator Award included: Anne Arundel
- Alycia A. Marshall, Ph.D., interim chair of the mathematics department of Anne Arundel Community College
- Michael E. Cryor , president of The Cryor Group
- Marietta A. English , president of the Baltimore Teachers Union and American Federation of Teachers – Maryland
- Rev. Debra Hickman, M. Div., president and chief executive officer of Sisters Together and Reaching (STAR)
- Harold Reid , executive director, Liberty Road Business Association
- Joy Hill Whitaker , chief development officer of the Boys & Girls Club of Southern Maryland
- Joan Jones , president of Bel Alton High School Alumni Association Community Development Corporation
- Traviss A. Green , chief technology transition officer of Lockheed Martin Information Systems and Global Solutions
- Earle Gumbs , president of Marlow-Hillcrest Heights Civic Association
- Thurman D. Jones Jr. , president of the Patriots Technology Training Center
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV