NEW YORK ( ETF Expert) --U.S. stocks ( S&P 500) have packed on Olympic-sized gains through the initial eight weeks of 2013. Federal Reserve policy uncertainty aside, 6%-plus capital appreciation on low volatility is impressive by any measure.
The bulk of the run-up is attributable to industries tied to economic growth and enhancement. Sector ETFs that represent financials, industrials, technology and energy have been the most prominent performers. This is particularly remarkable when one considers the high probability of a sequester drag on the U.S. economy.
However, it is unusual for a diversified investment like SPDR Select Financials (XLF) to catapult 20% without a modest amount of resistance. It's even more uncommon for traders to ignore the temptation to reduce their exposure. In fact, rallies that go unchecked are often prone to temporary reversals that may erode half of one's unrealized profits.
It follows that a 5% corrective phase for the broader market could see XLF drop 10%. In fact, with XLF 12.5% above its long-term (200-day) trendline, you might even see a double-digit percentage drop.
|Sector ETFs: Distance Above Long-Term Moving Average|
|Health Care Select Sector SPDR (XLV)||9.4%|
|Consumer Staples Select SPDR (XLP)||8.4%|
|Vanguard Telecom (VOX)||4.7%|
|Utilities Select Sector SPDR (XLU)||3.8%|
|Financials Select Sector SPDR (XLF)||12.5%|
|Industrials Select Sector SPDR (XLI)||10.5%|
|Energy Select Sector SPDR (XLE)||9.0%|
|Guggenheim Equal Weight Tech (RYT)||8.9%|
|Consumer Discretion Select SPDR (XLY)||8.5%|
|Materials Select Sector SPDR (XLB)||5.3%|
Follow @ETFexpert This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV