Gold for April delivery dropped $5.80 to settle at $1,572.80 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price traded as high as $1,587 and as low as $1,569.30 an ounce, while the spot price was shedding 70 cents, according to Kitco's gold index.
"Sequestration, which is anti-inflationary, the FOMC minutes
Gold prices had just two positive sessions during the past two trading weeks, as hedge funds have sold off positions and as the Fed's policy-making wing hinted on Wednesday that "many" more members were considering scaling back on the central bank's quantitative-easing programs before the end of 2013.The sequestration, or across-the-board spending cuts that will automatically go into effect if Congress fails to reach an agreement in March, could force massive cuts in defense and other government areas. Many analysts agreed that a dip in government spending in late 2012 led to the slight contraction in fourth-quarter gross domestic product. Silver prices for March delivery dropped 24 cents to close at $28.46 an ounce, while the U.S. dollar index was adding 0.15% to $81.48.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV