One name that's trending very close to triggering a major breakout trade is Ventrus Biosciences (VTUS), which is a specialty pharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of late-stage prescription drugs for gastrointestinal disorders, specifically hemorrhoids, anal fissures and fecal incontinence. This stock is off to a hot start in 2013, with shares up a whopping 29%.
If you take a look at the chart for Ventrus Biosciences, you'll see that this stock has been uptrending strong for the last month, with shares moving higher from its low of $2.42 to its recent high of $2.98 a share. During that uptrend, shares of VTUS have been consistently making higher lows and higher highs, which is bullish technical price action. That move has also been accompanied by strong upside volume, and VTUS is now quickly moving within range of triggering a major breakout trade.Traders should now look for long-biased trades in VTUS if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance at $2.98 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above $2.98 a share with volume that registers near or above its three-month average action of 177,984 shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then VTUS will set up to re-test or possibly take out its recent super spike high of $3.92 a share. Traders can look to buy VTUS off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits just below some key near-term support levels at $2.67 to $2.56 a share or even near its 50-day moving average at $2.43 a share. One could also buy off strength once VTUS takes out $2.98 a share with volume and then simply use a stop that sits just below $2.67 to $2.56 a share. Keep in mind that VTUS sports a low tradable float of just 8.39 million shares, so any big volume breakout could easily send this stock skyrocketing higher.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV