News Summary: College Tests Fingerprint Technology
By The Associated Press
FINGERPRINT TEST: Two shops on the School of Mines and Technology in South Dakota are performing one of the world's first experiments in biocryptology â¿¿ a mix of biometrics (using physical traits for identification) and cryptology (the study of encoding private information).
HOW IT WORKS: Students at the Rapid City school can buy a bag of potato chips with a machine that non-intrusively detects their pulse to make sure the transaction is legitimate.
THE PURPOSE: Researchers figure their technology would provide a critical safeguard against a morbid scenario sometimes found in spy movies in which a thief removes someone else's finger to fool the scanner.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV