NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- There's rarely a dull moment in restaurant land, a sector that is not often associated with value investing, but one where I have found some unique opportunities the past several years.
The Biglari Holding (BH)- Cracker Barrel (CBRL) soap opera continues to smolder. Biglari Holdings has amassed nearly a 20% stake in Cracker Barrel, and, unhappy with the direction of the specialty restaurant chain, has attempted to obtain seats on the board of directors. Cracker Barrel rejected these overtures and the relationship between the two companies may be getting worse.
While Cracker Barrel's recently-adopted poison pill limits Biglari Holdings from increasing its stake beyond 20%, the situation has taken an interesting turn. Last week, Cracker Barrel management fired off a letter to Biglari Holdings CEO, Sardar Biglari, offering to buy back the 4.7 million-plus shares the company currently owns, at the market price, which equates to about $310 million. Cracker Barrel said that the offer was more than fair given that such a large a stake would be sold at a discount if unwound slowly. The company also pointed out that Biglari Holdings has already seen some $70 million in unrealized gains in its stake, suggesting that it's time to lock in those gains for BH shareholders.BH data by YCharts
It took all of one day for Biglari to respond with a resounding "no," insisting that Biglari Holdings plans to remain a long-term owner of Cracker Barrel. Sardar Biglari turned the tables, suggesting that since Cracker Barrel believes it has the financial resources to repurchase such a large stake, it should consider making a tender offer for 20% of the company, or issue a one-time $300 million special dividend to shareholders. Zing!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV