The 155-mm LRLAP Is Effective Against A Variety Of Targets In Multiple Mission Areas And Was Designed To Provide Expeditionary Forces With An Affordable, Ship-launched Alternative To Currently Used Missiles. (Photo: BAE Systems)
BAE Systems and Lockheed Martin Corporation recently completed a series of successful guided flight tests for 155-mm Long Range Land Attack Projectiles (LRLAP) as part of the on-going qualification test program at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico.
The three tests evaluated the LRLAP’s long-range (63 nautical miles) flight performance and accuracy with a pre-conditioned tactical rocket motor in hot, ambient, and cold temperatures.
All test requirements were met or exceeded, and all range, accuracy, and lethality objectives were successfully demonstrated.
“This was a critical step forward for the U.S. Navy’s 155-mm LRLAP program,” said Tom Pfenning, director of Precision Guided Munitions at BAE Systems. “BAE Systems continues to progress on track to fully qualify the 155-mm LRLAP in support of the deployment of the Advanced Gun System aboard the DDG 1000.”The 155-mm LRLAP is effective against a variety of targets in multiple mission areas and was designed to provide expeditionary forces with an affordable, ship-launched alternative to currently used missiles. The LRLAP is guided by a GPS and Inertial Measurement Unit, allowing for high levels of accuracy at ranges beyond 63 nautical miles. This capability reduces costs by requiring fewer rounds to achieve desired effects on targets and is effective where collateral damage is an issue. BAE Systems is progressing toward completing 155-mm LRLAP live fire testing in Q4 of 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV