These are all steps on Google's path to put Microsoft and Apple out of business. Consider the following market share numbers: Google's market share in search has been around 67% for years now. Google's market share in smartphones has now hit an amazing 70%,
Back in 2000, Google's market share in search was around 1%. Back in 2007, Google's market share in smartphones was also around 1%. In only a few short years, Google captured more than two thirds of these enormous markets.
The Google Pixel is one piece of the puzzle for Google to do the same in the PC market. It will not happen in a year or two, just like Google took at least approximately five years to achieve 67% and 70% market share in search and smartphones.
But get to that kind of market share in PCs, at least Google has now shown that it has leapfrogged the competition with a superior product. It will not be the PC for everyone, right now. There are some special programs that a minority of the modern population can't use on Chrome OS.However, for those of us who do not have peculiar special needs with our PCs, such as running PhotoShop or some esoteric mind-destroying game, the Google Pixel laptop is to a Windows 8 laptop or a MacBook what Buckingham Palace is to a Burger King. And predictably, the people who disagree will be mostly those who have not yet used it. This brings us to a remaining piece in Google's puzzle. Among Apple's many virtues is that they have a superior retail store strategy. As I published here on Aug. 15, 2011
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV