Last month, Apple CEO Tim Cook and China Mobile's Chairman Xi Guohua met to discuss "matters of cooperation." This was taken as big news, given that China Mobile has more than 700 million users, and more than 10% of those users have 3G access, or data plans.
Apple has long said that China is incredibly important to its future, and brought the iPhone 5 to the country in mid-December. The latest iPhone was very well received, with Apple announcing it sold 2 million iPhone 5s in its first weekend in the country.
In its most recent quarter, Apple noted that revenue from Greater China (which includes China, Hong Kong and Taiwan) was $6.83 billion. That equalled 67% year-over-year growth, despite only having the iPhone and the new iPad in the country for the last two weeks of the quarter.Qualcomm's new global LTE chipset only adds further credence to the story that the iPhone may in fact be closer to its China Mobile arrival than many think. By bringing the iPhone 5 to China Mobile, it would be a huge coup for Apple - one that will help turn the tide against Samsung, ZTE and other handset makers firmly entrenched in China. Apple could not be immediately reached for comment for this story. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV