NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- While Steve Ballmer feebly attempts to justify years of mismanagement at Microsoft (MSFT), Google (GOOG) continues to execute its not-so-sneaky end-around that could ultimately force Ballmer out of a job and finally provide competition for Tim Cook at Apple (AAPL).
Google introduced Chromebook Pixel on Thursday. In and of itself, that's not a big deal. This device will not change the game. It will not stop very many, if any, MacBook purchases from happening, though it, along with Google's less expensive line of laptops, will eventually gain traction against PCs, particularly ultrabooks.
Matt Baxter-Reynolds wrote an interesting article for
Clarification: Tech geeks and their sympathizers are talking about Chromebooks. As for the rest of the population, they either do not know or can faintly recall that they even exist. If Google wanted to pique the masses' interests, it could have used its firepower to do something less convoluted and more creative than purposely producing something that's not very good.TheStreet contributor Anton Wahlman
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV