NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Leading up to Tesla's (TSLA) quarterly report, I was under the impression that the consensus was overwhelmingly bearish. Short interest was high, and there is no shortage of opinionated articles proclaiming electric cars to be terrible, dead and uninvestable.
With this type of background, a mediocre quarterly report would be enough for a stock to trade up, in a neutral market. Yet, it got smacked 8.77% yesterday. What gives?
My question implies that I think it was, on the margin, incrementally speaking, a positive quarterly report. Here is why I think so:
The fear going into the quarter had primarily been around the bottom line outlook for 2013, and whether Tesla would have to launch another follow-on equity offering in order to fund the heavy working capital requirements. This did not happen. Yes, I'm looking at you, John Petersen.
1. Word Of Mouth SalesTo understand why Tesla is succeeding in the market, you have to understand how lyric its customers are. In the big scheme of things, Tesla has essentially no marketing presence -- very few people on Earth have been to one of the few Tesla stores, and Tesla does not advertise. What Tesla has found is that most of its new sales are now some form of referral sales. Basically, the people who got their Teslas already can't stop talking about them with their friends, neighbors, relatives and co-workers. They won't give up until they have sold a few of them. As a result, Tesla adoption is occurring disproportionately in clusters now. This is particularly evident in Tesla's Silicon Valley home market. Today, as I have been every day in the recent weeks, I saw more Teslas than I could bother counting, and I wasn't even out a lot. The word "sustainable" is being thrown around a lot, and I usually react against it with acute nausea. However, I will argue that there is nothing as sustainable for Tesla as passionate owners who sell the car for you. THAT'S sustainability!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV