NEW YORK -- Barnes & Noble (BKS) Chairman Leonard Riggio has expressed interest in buying out the company's consumer-bookstore chain, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the situation.
Riggio is Barnes & Noble's biggest shareholder and his interest, though so far tentative, raises the prospect that the company could be split in two, the Journal noted. It would mean that Barnes & Noble's retail stores would be taken private, and be separated from the company's college-store chain and its Nook business, the Journal said.
Riggio could make a formal announcement this week, one of the people told the newspaper.
Home-improvement retailer Lowe's (LOW) is expected by analysts Monday to post fourth-quarter earnings of.23 cents a share on revenue of $10.84 billion.
Knight Capital Group (KCG), which is being acquired by Getco LLC, plans to sell its credit-brokerage unit to Stifel Financial (SF), Bloomberg reported, citing people with knowledge of the matter. An announcement could be made Monday, according to the report. Stifel was one of the firms that rescued Knight Capital after Knight suffered a trading glitch last year that led to $461.1 million in trading losses. 4 Stocks Under $10 Spiking Higher
Hertz Global (HTZ) is forecast by Wall Street to report fourth-quarter earnings of 31 cents a share on revenue of $2.24 billion. 4 Stocks Under $5 Making Big Moves
Google's (GOOG) Android unit has been negotiating with music companies to start a paid subscription music-streaming service similar to Spotify AB, the Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter.
Cooper Tire & Rubber (CTB) is expected by analysts to report fourth-quarter earnings of 85 cents a share.
-- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV