PARIS, Feb. 21, 2013 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Orange, Ericsson and Qualcomm Incorporated, through its wholly owned subsidiary, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., have successfully used L-band frequencies to demonstrate the use of supplemental downlink technology on a mobile network, thereby confirming the potential of this approach to increase mobile broadband capacity and enhance user experience. The demonstration was carried out on Orange's network in Toulouse, France, on 21 February 2013. The performance and benefits of this technology will be unveiled during the Mobile World Congress, in Barcelona, on Ericsson's stand.
Orange , Ericsson and Qualcomm to drive innovation on mobile network efficiencyThis initiative was achieved in the context of the recent decision from the CEPT (European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administration) to harmonize use of the L-band (1452-1492 MHz), reserving it specifically for supplemental downlink technology.
The trial system, which uses L-band frequencies for testing, was authorized by the French telecoms regulator, Arcep, in June 2012. The system combines L-band frequencies in the downlink mode with traditional 2.1 GHz frequencies owned by Orange to boost downlink capacity. The trial network uses radio base stations supplied by Ericsson and devices equipped with Qualcomm chipsets.
The live demonstration held today in Toulouse has clearly demonstrated the relevance of this technology for increasing download speed and improving user experience.The performance and benefits obtained at this live demonstration will be presented at the Mobile World Congress:
- on February 26 at 12:30
- at the Ericsson Experience stand, Hall 2
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV