"The volume of exploits targeting business critical applications was stunning and serves as a data center security wake-up call," said Matt Keil, senior research analyst at Palo Alto Networks and author of the report. "These threats will continue to afflict organizations until they isolate and protect their business applications by bringing threat prevention deeper into the network."
The report categorizes applications into 3 categories: personal applications, business applications, and custom or unknown applications.
- Personal applications include social networking applications (Facebook, Pintrest, Tumblr, and Twitter), filesharing (BitTorrent, Box, Dropbox, Putlocker, Skydrive, and YouSendit), and video (YouTube, Netflix, and Hulu Networks).
- Business applications include Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Active Directory, SMB, Microsoft RPC, and other commonly used enterprise applications.
- Custom or unknown applications are defined as either TCP or UDP based applications that are custom (internal to the organization), unrecognized commercially available, or a threat.
Application and Threat InformationInformation on the nearly 1,600 applications that are identified by Palo Alto Networks can be found in Applipedia, part of the company's Application and Threat Research Center. Visit the online resource to find the latest news, commentary, and discoveries on applications and threats at http://researchcenter.paloaltonetworks.com.
To download the Application Usage and Threat Report ( February 2013), please visit: http://www.paloaltonetworks.com/autr.To explore the data from this report using our interactive data visualization tool, please visit: http://researchcenter.paloaltonetworks.com/app-usage-risk-report-visualization/ About Palo Alto NetworksPalo Alto Networks™ is the network security company. Its innovative platform enables enterprises, service providers, and government entities to secure their networks and safely enable the increasingly complex and rapidly growing number of applications running on their networks. The core of Palo Alto Networks platform is its next-generation firewall, which delivers application, user, and content visibility and control integrated within the firewall through its proprietary hardware and software architecture. Palo Alto Networks products and services can address a broad range of network security requirements, from the data center to the network perimeter, as well as the distributed enterprise, which includes branch offices and a growing number of mobile devices. Palo Alto Networks products are used by more than 10,000 customers in over 100 countries. For more information, visit www.paloaltonetworks.com. Palo Alto Networks, "The Network Security Company," the Palo Alto Networks Logo, App-ID, GlobalProtect, and WildFire are trademarks of Palo Alto Networks, Inc. in the United States and in jurisdictions throughout the world. All other trademarks, trade names or service marks used or mentioned herein belong to their respective owners. SOURCE Palo Alto Networks
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV