SANTA CLARA, Calif., Feb. 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Palo Alto Networks (NYSE: PANW), the network security company, today released its Application Usage and Threat Report. This 10th edition of the report is the first version to compile and correlate data on application usage and threat activity. Based on analysis of network traffic of more than 3,000 organizations between May and December 2012, the report is the network security industry's most comprehensive examination of application usage and threats. The report's findings include:
- Social, video, and filesharing are not the top threat sources. While 339 social networking, video, and filesharing applications represent 20 percent of network bandwidth use, they account for less than 1 percent of threat logs.
- Exploits continue to target enterprises' most valued assets via commonly used business applications. Of the 1,395 applications studied, 9 business critical applications were responsible for 82 percent of all exploit logs.
- Malware hides inside custom applications. Custom or unknown applications are the leading type of traffic associated with malware communications, accounting for 55 percent of malware logs, yet they are consuming less than 2 percent of network bandwidth.
- SSL is used as both a security mechanism and a masking agent. 356 applications use SSL in some way. SSL by itself represented 5 percent of all bandwidth and the 6th highest volume of malware logs. HTTP proxy, used both as a security component and to evade controls, exhibited the 7th highest volume of malware logs.
"Correlating threats with specific applications allows security teams to directly see and control risks in their networks," said René Bonvanie, chief marketing officer at Palo Alto Networks. "We are empowering our customers with the knowledge they need to implement comprehensive security policies and practices to better secure their networks with minimal impact on day-to-day operation."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV