Another analyst who attended the meeting, Eli Lustgarten of Longbow Research, said he was "not at all" offended by Farr's language. "You have to respect a CEO who is that passionate about his company," Lustgarten said. Hear, hear, and more power to you and Farr!
EMR pays out its next dividend on March 10 and the ex-dividend date has already passed. Its CEO is a force for change, government and corporate accountability and in the latest fiscal year was paid a total of $10.4 million for his services. Perhaps that's commensurate with his ability to guide Emerson to $24.4 billion in global sales in the fiscal year that ended on Sept. 30, 2012.
Analysts expect that number to top $25 billion in the current fiscal year on the crest of over a 6% increase in EPS. If EMR can surprise to the upside in the quarters ahead, it won't be difficult for the analysts' consensus estimate one-year price target of $60 a share to be reached.
David Farr, you have our permission to at times sound like a person who periodically suffers from Turrets Syndrome as long as you continue to be such a competent skipper of this massive, money-making ship we call Emerson Electric.We've done the math, Mr. Farr. If we buy shares at $56 or below, collect the 3% dividend for a year and the share price pops up to $60, we'll be looking at a total return on our investment of over 10%. We can live with that, and we promise to be more careful about not trying to pigeon-hole your enduringly successful enterprise. At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @m8a2r1 This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage. Make smarter trading decisions and provide investment ideas that could help make you richer. Bryan Ashenberg does the dirty work so you don't have to!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV