US Stocks Keep Sliding On Weak Data, Fed Qualms
By The Associated Press
Stocks are closing lower on Wall Street for a second day on weak economic data and concern that the Federal Reserve may cut back its bond-buying program.
The government said more people applied for unemployment benefits last week. In Europe, a survey of executives suggested the economy slowed this month.
The Dow Jones industrial average lost 46 points to close at 13,880 Thursday.The Standard & Poor's 500 fell nine to 1,502. The Nasdaq lost 32 to 3,131. Wal-Mart rose 1 percent after beating analysts' profit forecasts. Tesla Motors plunged 9 percent after reporting that its loss grew 10 percent on costs related to its new Model S. Two stocks fell for every one that rose on the New York Stock Exchange. Volume was 4.2 billion shares, heavier than usual.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV