NeoPhotonics Corporation (NYSE: NPTN), a leading designer and manufacturer of photonic integrated circuit, or PIC, based optoelectronic modules and subsystems for bandwidth-intensive, high speed communications networks, today announced financial results for its fourth quarter and full year ended December 31, 2012.
“We are very pleased with our fiscal 2012 results, particularly with our ability to continue to grow revenue at an accelerated rate of 22% year-over-year, and reach a new record for total annual revenue,” said Tim Jenks, Chairman, President and CEO of NeoPhotonics. “In addition, NeoPhotonics has grown 40/100G product sales to approximately one third of our quarterly revenue as of the fourth quarter of 2012, helping to meet rapidly growing demand for high speed PIC-based products.”
Highlights for the Fourth Quarter of 2012
- Revenue was $62.0 million, down $4.1 million, or 6%, from the prior quarter and up $4.8 million, or 8%, from the fourth quarter 2011
- Gross margin was 22.7%, down from 31.2% in the prior quarter and up from 21.5% in the fourth quarter 2011; gross margin was adversely impacted by approximately 700 basis points due to higher yield loss and inventory-related expense relating to one of the company’s high speed products and lower wafer fab utilization
- Non-GAAP gross margin was 24.5%, down from 32.9% in the prior quarter and up from 23.5% in the fourth quarter 2011
- Loss from continuing operations was $3.0 million, down $3.7 million from income in the prior quarter of $0.7 million and an improvement from a loss of $22.8 million in the fourth quarter 2011
- Non-GAAP loss from continuing operations was $0.1 million, down $2.8 million from income in the prior quarter of $2.7 million and an improvement from a loss of $6.4 million in the fourth quarter 2011
- Diluted loss per share from continuing operations was $0.10, down from income of $0.02 in the prior quarter and an improvement from a loss of $0.92 in the fourth quarter 2011
- Non-GAAP diluted loss per share from continuing operations was $0.0, down from income of $0.08 in the prior quarter and an improvement from a loss of $0.26 in the fourth quarter 2011
- Adjusted EBITDA was $3.5 million, down from $6.4 million in the prior quarter and an improvement from an adjusted EBITDA loss of $3.0 million in the fourth quarter 2011
Total cash, cash equivalents and short-term investments was $101.2 million at December 31, 2012, down from $105.9 million in the prior quarter and up from $86.4 million at December 31, 2011. The sequential quarterly decrease in cash was primarily due to payments for capital expenditures, scheduled repayment of bank debt and expenses relating to the pending acquisition of the semiconductor optical components business unit (OCU) of LAPIS Semiconductor Co., Ltd. announced on January 22, 2013.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts