When Wall Street analyst Gene Munster goes on CNBC with his weekly Apple TV prediction that someday -- eventually -- might come true, it goes in one ear and out the other. We've heard it all before. There's nothing to see here, plus he's bullish, so who cares if he has been dead wrong on what Apple will do 673,000 times?
But when a lunatic (as a fellow "lunatic," I say that with a loving gaze) named "Bethany McLean" from a solid publication such as Vanity Fair comes on and says Apple could crash to $200, everybody listens. And reacts. But we blame CNBC for having her on just as much as we take McLean to task for having absolutely no idea what she's talking about.
For details on what she did say, see Chris Ciaccia of TheStreet's story about her Thursday morning CNBC appearance.
I don't have a ton to say in response other than:
Pardon my French, but I am not kissing
CNBC's a$$. I shoot straight. I like to think they'll have me on again as a guest because I am good, not because I write nice things about them. The truth is the truth. And it shall set you free (or make you sound like less of a nut on this issue).
Bethany, please read the following, it sums up what's wrong with the Apple discussion:
Apple Absolutely Crushed Samsung and Why It Does/Doesn't Matter.
And, if you're going to make a bearish Apple argument, fine. I love it. I dislike boring, dry Wall Street analysts. So more power to you, soul sister. But don't make the case on the silly
Android dwarfs Apple in terms of market share line. That shows a complete and total ignorance regarding the spaces Apple runs in, what has made it great and what it's all about today and going forward.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV