NEW YORK (TheStreet) - As you probably know, Chromebooks are Google's (GOOG) answer to other laptop/notebook designs. They run on a Linux-based operating system and offer Google's Chrome browser. Seriously, that's it. You're supposed to do everything you need a computer for in the browser and then store stuff "in the cloud," not, necessarily, on a built-in hard drive.
Buyers have recently been taking notice, thanks partly to the fact that Chromebooks sport low prices - in the $200 to $300 range. Recent designs from Samsung and Acer have been selling well. HP (HPQ) and Lenovo have announced new Chromebooks of their own.
But, touchscreens are the next big thing. You can be sure that Microsoft (MSFT) is counting on this trend. So, it's not really surprising there's now word that Chromebooks will soon be sporting touchscreen displays of their own.
According to a number of online rumors/reports, Google, inventor of the Android operating system, is currently working on a touchscreen Chromebook. Few details have emerged about this alleged project from either Google or any of its possible manufacturing partners.We may hear more at Google's I/O developer conference, which kicks off May 15 - and see any finished products that could hit the marketplace in time for the year-end holiday shopping season. Google has not yet responded to TheStreet's request for comment on this story. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV