Vanity Fair contributor Bethany McLean was on CNBC discussing Apple's "demise," saying the stock could go to $200 (from $444 today). While anything is possible (she did correctly call the demise of Enron), it's more likely that $200 is in Apple's rear-view mirror, absent a stock split or a complete mismanagement by the people in charge, namely CEO Tim Cook.
Here is McLean's interview in its entirety.
First, for McLean to question the opacity of Apple's earnings power is laughable. Apple has increasingly made itself more transparent, not less. Apple now breaks down not only product revenue, but geographic sales as well.Even if you're going to go as far as to mention Braeburn Capital, Apple's asset-management arm, as opaque, that's a weak argument. Per its 10-Q, Apple had more than $42 billion in U.S. Treasuries, over $49 billion in corporate securities and around $6 billion in money market funds and CDs. That's not exactly playing games with the company cash. In its entirety, Apple had $137.1 billion in cash and cash equivalents at the end of the quarter. McLean describes Apple as "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV