TPG-Axon, beneficial owner of seven percent of the outstanding shares of SandRidge Energy, Inc. (NYSE: SD) (the “Company”), today announced that Glass, Lewis & Co. (Glass Lewis), a leading independent proxy voting and corporate governance advisory firm, has recommended SandRidge stockholders vote the GREEN consent card in support of TPG-Axon’s proposals.
Specifically, Glass Lewis recommends SandRidge’s bylaws be amended to destagger the Board, that six incumbent directors be removed, including SandRidge Chief Executive Officer Tom Ward, and that independent director nominees Stephen C. Beasley, Edward W. Moneypenny, Dinakar Singh, Alan J. Weber, Dan A. Westbrook and Peter H. Rothschild be elected to the Board. Glass Lewis also recommends stockholders NOT VOTE the white consent card provided by SandRidge.
TPG-Axon recommends stockholders vote its full slate of independent directors including Mr. Beasley, Mr. Moneypenny, Mr. Singh, Mr. Weber, Mr. Westbrook, Mr. Rothschild and Fredric G. Reynolds. TPG-Axon requests that stockholders return their signed and dated GREEN consent cards promptly, to ensure that their consent cards are received by SandRidge prior to March 15, 2013, the deadline for submitting consents.
In its recommendation, Glass Lewis noted the following:
- “We agree with TPG-Axon that independent shareholders would strongly benefit from fresh, external perspectives and a substantial overhaul of board level oversight.”
- “…we find an equally dismal corporate governance landscape marred by regressive practices, poorly-implemented compensation policies and a general lack of substantive oversight.”
- “As a rule, we are reticent to recommend the removal of incumbent board members, or in favor of dissident nominees, unless one of the following two things has occurred: (i) there are serious problems at the company and the newly proposed nominees have a clear and realistic plan to solve these problems; or (ii) the current board has undertaken an action clearly contrary to the interests of shareholders (or failed to undertake an action clearly to the benefit of shareholders).”
- “We agree with the Dissident that there is sufficient cause to doubt the board's assessment of certain related party transactions, particularly those related to CEO Tom Ward…We believe it is entirely reasonable for independent shareholders to question how the continued involvement of a conflicted CEO could possibly benefit SandRidge over any term…”
- “Taken collectively, we find the foregoing issues strongly indicative of a board sorely unprepared to create or protect shareholder value, or, indeed, effectively oversee a CEO that has, by virtually any meaningful standard, steered SandRidge toward peer-worst performance since the Company's initial public offering. In lieu of offering owners any value-additive rebuttal to these concerns, it appears the board has opted to double down on its poor pattern of practice by adopting a shareholder rights plan and clumsily wielding the threat of violated debt covenants and potential executive severance payments as a cudgel to maintain the status quo.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV