Kass: Bring On the Steel-Cage Match!
This column originally appeared on Real Money Pro at 8:20 a.m. EST on Feb. 21.
NEW YORK ( Real Money) -- This week Jim "El Capitan" Cramer and I have been going back and forth on the investment ramifications of the heightened M&A activity. (Jimmy brought up our fracas and dueling views during Tuesday night's "Mad Money" episode.)
Yesterday I published a detailed analysis that suggested that retail investors' inflows into domestic equity funds do not lead stock prices -- indeed, there is nearly no correlation.Today I undertake (with the assistance of Seabreeze analysts Nick Pollari and Kelley Hopkins) another exercise and deep dive that suggest to us that, historically, rising levels of takeover activity (what Jim calls "the urge to merge") do not statistically correlate to a new leg of higher stock prices. We used data of the S&P 500 annual returns from 2001 to 2012 with the dollar value of M&A activity and came up with the conclusion that there is little correlation:
- The correlation between the volume ($B) of North American deals with annual S&P 500 returns is a low 0.5029.
- The R-squared between annual S&P 500 returns and the volume ($B) of North American deals is an even lower 0.253.
- The adjusted R-squared between annual S&P 500 returns and the volume ($B) of North American deals (including a one-year lag) is a statistically insignificant 0.296.
- The adjusted R-squared between annual S&P 500 returns and the volume ($B) of global deals (including a one-year lag) is also a low 0.307.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV