Tesla said that it recorded 6,000 new reservations in the fourth quarter, indicating demand is incredibly strong for the Model S. That's more than double its previous high of 2,900.
Maxim analyst Aaron Chew noted despite the $102 million in cash spent during the quarter, the recent price hike and cost controls could bode well for the stock. "Despite losses and $102m in cash burn, we expect higher utilization and cost controls to yield 25% gross margin and GAAP profitability by 4Q13. With better visibility/confidence in demand, we expect the stock to soon hit new highs," Chew wrote in a note.
In addition to first-quarter guidance, Musk touched on the second quarter. He wouldn't commit to a profit in the second quarter but noted on the conference call he thinks "we'll be profitable in the second quarter and subsequent quarters as well." With Musk being so confident about the rest of 2013, that may bode well for investor optimism in Tesla's ability to execute.--Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV