Home Builders Hammered by Housing Data
My benchmark for the home builder industry is the PHLX Housing Sector Index (HGX), which plunged 5.5% on Wednesday to 179.51. The daily chart for HGX had been showing a topping out pattern since the end of January despite setting a multi-year high at 194.06 on Feb 13. HGX broke below its 21-day simple moving average (SMA) at 188.71 and closed Wednesday just below its 50-day SMA at 180.11 with the 200-day SMA at 153.60, which lines up with my semiannual value level at 152.56.
Chart Courtesy of Thomson / Reuters
On Jan. 17, I wrote Overvalued Home Builders Face Earnings Hurdle and provided my "buy and trade" strategies pre-earnings for the eight home builders I have been covering.
On Jan. 28, I wrote Will Homebuilders Q4 Support Additional Share Price Strength? In this post I honed in on earnings from four home builders and two other stocks that provide services to home building.
On Feb. 4, I wrote Book Profits in Overvalued Market, and profiled four home builders and six other stocks related to home building and the construction sector. My strategy presented in this post is to use a "buy and trade" strategy to book profits on strength, and raise cash while doing so.The construction sector was the most overvalued sector, by 26.9% yesterday, but today is 23.3% overvalued, falling behind consumer staples at 24.1% overvalued. At www.ValuEngine.com, we still show that 15 of 16 sectors are overvalued, 11 by double-digit percentages.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV