Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN), the network specialist, today announced that it has been selected by Metrored, a leading provider of telecommunications services in Latin America, to support a new international long-haul link between Mexico and the United States. Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform equipped with WaveLogic Coherent Optical Processors will provide Metrored with four times the existing network capacity today, with seamless evolution to 10 times the capacity with 100G when needed. This additional capacity will allow Metrored to support the delivery of high-bandwidth applications like high-speed Internet, IPTV, HD programming and mobile video phones.
- Metrored owns and manages one of the largest networks in Mexico, offering integrated communication services to enterprises, carriers, Internet service providers, and data center operators. Metrored also maintains interconnection agreements between Mexico and the United States.
- Metrored’s new long-haul Mexico-US link will leverage Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform equipped with WaveLogic Coherent Optical Processors to support growing capacity demands for data traffic between the two countries while laying the foundation for 100G scalability.
- The network will allow Metrored to offer Ethernet-based Virtual Private LAN services as well as multicast / broadcast video distribution applications using integrated packet switching capabilities of the 6500 over a high capacity backbone network to multiple locations in the US. Metrored also offers a burstable Internet dedicated access solution for carriers, governments, ISPs or companies with flexible bandwidth requirements.
- Ciena is providing Metrored with an optimized solution that leverages Ciena’s OPn framework principles. OP n leverages Ciena’s extensive heritage and focused expertise in packet and optical networking to create a programmable infrastructure with exponential scale on which applications run to deliver a high-value and superior user experience.
- Ciena is also providing Metrored implementation services via its Ciena Specialist Services portfolio to ensure the network is deployed and commissioned accurately and on time.
- Metrored has been a Ciena customer for many years and has incorporated a variety of Ciena solutions into its network including the 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, as well as the 6110, 6130 and 6150 Multiservice Optical Platforms.
- “When looking for a solution to maximize and optimize the traffic that moves over our network between Mexico and the US, we knew it was time to take a serious look at 40G, particularly taking into the account the increase in use of high-bandwidth consumer service applications such as VoD at both ends of the connection. We chose Ciena’s packet-optical solution because it not only dramatically increases our maximum traffic over this link, but the same infrastructure will be able to double its capacity again or even move to 100G in the future.” - Roberto Pioquinto, technological development and special projects director, Metrored
- “As the owner and manager of one of the largest nationwide optical fiber networks in Mexico, it’s important for Metrored to anticipate and meet customer demand, supporting the increased use of high-bandwidth applications while preparing for future growth across all sectors. Ciena’s industry-leading coherent technology will help support Metrored’s growing footprint. This expansion of our successful relationship will help Metrored diversify and differentiate their solutions from the competition.”- Fabio Medina, vice president and general manager, Central and Latin America, Ciena
- Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform converges Ethernet, TDM and WDM capabilities in a single solution for cost-effective delivery of emerging and existing services, from the access edge to the backbone core.
- Boasting years of coherent deployment experience, Ciena’s 40G/100G solutions equipped with WaveLogic coherent optical processors scale the capacity and reach of existing networks with operational simplicity. 6500 systems also feature electronic dispersion compensation and comprehensive ROADM functionality, which combine with intelligent automation and OTN/packet switching to maximize both the bandwidth efficiency and flexibility of the overall network.
- Ciena is the pioneer and market leader of coherent optical technology with 20,000 coherent 40G/100G line interfaces shipped to over 100 customers across the globe, with more than 20 million coherent kilometers deployed.
- Data Sheet: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Application Note: Coherent Optical Processing for High-Capacity Networks
- Video: What is Coherent Optical Networking?
- Video: Ciena WaveLogic Coherent Optical Processors
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV