Tesla's not a car company. It's closer to Apple and Lululemon (LULU) in spirit and execution than it is Ford (F) or GM. In fact, Apple could learn a lot about its roots and better protect its image by taking a close look at Tesla.
Most people in North America (or the world for that matter) will never see a Model S in person. You have to live in certain pockets of the continent (or, again, the world; about a quarter of Tesla's reservations come from outside of the U.S./Canada/Mexico) to catch a glimpse of one, in the flesh, parked curbside, in a lot or zooming down the avenue.
Wahlman hangs in Palo Alto, Calif.; he sees them all of the time. I'm in Santa Monica; I see about one a day now. I expect that number to increase as has been the case with the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt over the last year. While Tesla will never reach Toyota (TM) Prius-like ubiquity, it will come close on an adjusted basis.In other words, a relatively small number of people can obtain a $65,000 to $100,000 luxury vehicle, therefore, you'll naturally see fewer of them, on the whole, than you do a $20,000 to $30,000 hybrid or $30,000 to $50,000 EV. And that's cool. That's all Tesla needs. Just like LULU doesn't need the world to drop $150 on yoga pants, Tesla is not, probably never will and has no reason to shoot for mass adoption. Like Apple (or, at least like Apple should be), Tesla is not a market share story. It's a high-end, exclusivity alongside aspirational consumer wow-factor story. People gawk in Tesla Stores the same way they do in Apple Stores. Except most of us cannot have a Model S, whereas plenty of folks can put together the right number of nickels for an iPod. That's the story. And Wahlman's correct. Everything else is noise. Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV