Patterson Companies, Inc. (Nasdaq: PDCO) today reported that consolidated sales totaled $915,861,000 in its fiscal third quarter, ended Jan. 26, 2013, an increase of 2.3% from $895,030,000 in the year-earlier period. Net income was $53,630,000, or $0.52 per diluted share, compared to net income of $53,108,000, or $0.50 per diluted share, in the year-ago period.
All Patterson Companies’ business lines in the fiscal 2013 third quarter were affected by two fewer days in the selling period, due to the company’s fiscal calendar and the timing of holidays. This is most notable in the consumable categories with an approximate 2 percentage point negative impact, on a comparable basis to the year-ago results.
Patterson DentalSales for Patterson Dental, Patterson’s largest business, increased 3.5% from the year-earlier period to $626,494,000 in the third quarter of fiscal 2013.
- Sales of consumable dental supplies, adjusted to exclude the impact of the fewer selling days in the period, were up 1.2% (down 0.9%, as reported)
- Sales of dental equipment and software rose nearly 10% from the year-earlier level, driven by strong performances in technology categories, particularly digital imaging
- Sales of other services and products, consisting primarily of technical service, parts and labor, software support services and artificial teeth, were up 2.3% from last year’s third quarter
Scott P. Anderson, president and chief executive officer, commented: “We are pleased with Patterson’s third-quarter performance. Within Patterson Dental we posted solid sales levels, led by sales of CEREC ® systems and digital radiography products. Sales of the industry-leading CEREC Omnicam system – an innovative 3D CAD/CAM digital camera for dentists – had been constrained last quarter due to product availability issues. Sales in this quarter were robust, as the manufacturer, Sirona Dental Systems, Inc., fulfilled their delivery commitments. We believe there are growth opportunities from all our technology offerings as dentistry migrates to a digital platform, and we will continue to support these categories with targeted marketing initiatives, as necessary.”Patterson VeterinaryThird quarter fiscal 2013 sales for the Patterson Veterinary unit increased 2.4%, adjusted to exclude the impact of the fewer selling days (up 0.4%, as reported), to $175,408,000. Also, excluding the impact from the change in a nutritional distribution agreement in the spring of 2012, sales would have grown by approximately 7 additional percentage points in the period. Effective Jan. 1, 2013, Patterson Companies renamed its Webster Veterinary Supply unit to Patterson Veterinary Supply. In a move designed to further leverage the Patterson brand, the company believes it is strengthening its visibility and position in the United States companion-pet veterinary market. Anderson continued: “Patterson Veterinary constituted approximately 20% of Patterson Companies’ total sales levels in the third quarter. Year-over-year performance was driven by gains in consumable supply sales. Despite the challenging economy, and what is typically the seasonally slowest period for this business, we continue to see positive trends in this unit. We remain committed to building our equipment and technical service strategy to capture market share as pet owners increase their veterinary care spending. We believe we can continue to reshape the market, as Patterson redefines the industry sales model.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV