It's been a ho-hum year for cosmetics company Estee Lauder (EL); shares of the $24 billion firm have only moved around 4% higher since the first trading day of 2013. But EL could be in store for considerable upside thanks to the long-term pattern that's been forming in shares.
Lauder is currently forming an ascending triangle pattern, a trading setup that's formed by a horizontal resistance level to the upside and uptrending support put in below shares. Essentially, as EL bounces in between those two technically significant price levels, it's getting squeezed closer and closer to a breakout above that resistance level at $64. When the breakout happens, we've got a buy signal on our hands.
Momentum adds some extra confirmation to the upside setup in EL. That's because 14-day RSI has been able to maintain an uptrend over the course of the pattern, a sign that Lauder's price increase is accelerating. Since momentum is a leading indicator of price, that's a very auspicious sign for shareholders.Wait for the breakout before putting your cash on the line in EL.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV