VEA Wins National Community Service Award For Energy Efficiency
NEW ORLEANS, Feb. 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- At its annual convention, the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA) today awarded Valley Electric Association, Inc. (vea.coop) with its 2012 National Community Service Award for Energy Efficiency. NRECA, the association that represents the nation's 905 electric cooperatives serving an estimated 42 million people in 47 states, annually seeks out and recognizes cooperatives that have rendered exemplary service to their communities.
VEA's innovative domestic solar water heating program earned the accolades for the Pahrump, NV-based co-op. "This award recognizes cooperatives that are working to provide their member-owners with the most energy efficient systems and practices available," explained Gabe Snow, NRECA's award program coordinator. "It's also about how the co-op positively impacts the community it serves through the outreach, community development and economic benefits associated with its energy efficiency program."
"On behalf of the entire VEA board, we are so proud of our Ambassadors and our membership and what they contribute to our community every day in so many ways," said VEA board member Shiela Rau in accepting the award.A short video on VEA's domestic solar water heating program was produced by NRECA and shown in advance of the award. The highlighted benefits to the communities served by VEA flowing from the co-op's solar water heating program include:
- Job creation with the installation of hundreds of solar water heaters, along with job training opportunities
- A local economic stimulus: the savings on water heating can be spent elsewhere in the local economy
- Many members were able to take a 30% federal tax credit on the installed cost of their system, keeping more money local
- The program reduces the amount of expensive peak power VEA needs to purchase, reducing pressure on rates
- The local tax base is improved by sales on local materials used to install the systems
- Environmental benefits, with more than 3,000 pounds of CO2 reduction attributed to each system
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts