- Sunoco Merger. On October 5, 2012, Energy Transfer Partners, L.P. ("ETP") completed its merger with Sunoco, Inc. ("Sunoco"). Under the terms of the merger agreement, Sunoco shareholders received 54,971,725 ETP Common Units and a total of approximately $2.6 billion in cash.
- Holdco Transaction. Immediately following the closing of the Sunoco Merger, ETE contributed its interest in Southern Union Company ("Southern Union") to ETP Holdco Corporation ("Holdco"), an ETP-controlled entity, in exchange for a 60% equity interest in Holdco. In conjunction with ETE's contribution, ETP contributed its interest in Sunoco to Holdco and retained a 40% equity interest in Holdco. Prior to the contribution of Sunoco to Holdco, Sunoco contributed $2.0 billion of cash and its interests in Sunoco Logistics Partners L.P. ("Sunoco Logistics") to ETP in exchange for 90,706,000 Class F Units representing limited partner interests in ETP ("Class F Units"). The Class F Units are entitled to 35% of the quarterly cash distribution generated by ETP and its subsidiaries other than Holdco, subject to a maximum cash distribution of $3.75 per Class F Unit per year, which is the current distribution level. Pursuant to a stockholders agreement between ETE and ETP, ETP controls Holdco. Consequently, ETP consolidated Holdco (including Sunoco and Southern Union) in its financial statements subsequent to consummation of the Holdco Transaction. In connection with this transaction, ETE relinquished its rights to $210 million of incentive distributions from ETP that ETE would otherwise be entitled to receive over 12 consecutive quarters.
- Strategic Asset Sale. In December 2012, Southern Union entered into a purchase and sale agreement pursuant to which subsidiaries of Laclede Gas Company, Inc. have agreed to acquire the assets of Southern Union's Missouri Gas Energy and New England Gas Company divisions. Total consideration is expected to be $1.04 billion, subject to customary closing adjustments, less the assumption of $19 million of debt. For the period from March 26, 2012 to December 31, 2012, the distribution operations have been reclassified to discontinued operations. The assets and liabilities of the disposal group have been reclassified and reported as assets and liabilities held for sale as of December 31, 2012.
Energy Transfer Equity Reports Fourth Quarter And Annual Results
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts