VeriFone Systems, Inc. (NYSE: PAY) today announced certain preliminary financial results for its first quarter ended January 31, 2013.
VeriFone expects to report Q1 non-GAAP net revenues in the range of $425 million to $430 million and Q1 GAAP net revenues in the range of $424 million to $428 million. VeriFone expects to report non-GAAP net income per share between $0.47 and $0.50 and GAAP net income per share between $0.07 and $0.10.
The lower than expected results for the first quarter were driven primarily by:
- Continued weak macro-economic conditions in Europe;
- Increased focus and investments throughout 2012 on longer-term service initiatives in multiple jurisdictions at the expense of near-term hardware and software features and customization projects that were reduced or delayed, which resulted in missed revenue opportunities;
- An increase in deferred revenue related to volume shipments made during the quarter to a new mix of customers in the Middle East and Africa. These shipments did not meet first quarter revenue recognition requirements;
- Lower than anticipated revenue from large Brazilian customers, as well as political and economic uncertainty in Venezuela, typically a strong market for VeriFone; and
- Several customers electing to delay major projects beyond the first quarter, as well as the cancelled Washington, D.C. taxi project.
“During the first quarter we faced a number of external headwinds and internal challenges, which impacted our results,” said Douglas G. Bergeron, Chief Executive Officer. “While we are disappointed with our performance and execution, we have a firm grasp on the challenges we faced and are taking aggressive steps to strengthen our competitiveness over the long-term. Although the focus on our services efforts impacted some local software and hardware modifications that were required to be competitive, our product platform and architecture are consistently recognized by the industry as being best-in-class. We are confident in our ability and committed to executing against our strategic priorities to drive shareholder value.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV