The company repurchased approximately 985,000 shares of its common stock in the first quarter at an average price of $27.26 per share for an aggregate cost of $26.9 million, leaving $50 million remaining under a $100 million stock-buyback program authorized by the company’s board of directors that expires in November 2013, and $100 million remaining under an authorization that expires in November 2014.
Nine new Jack in the Box restaurants opened in the first quarter of fiscal 2013, including six franchised locations, compared with 16 new restaurants opened system-wide during the same quarter last year, of which 11 were franchised.
In the first quarter, 17 Qdoba restaurants opened, including 14 franchised locations, versus 15 new restaurants in the year-ago quarter, of which 9 were franchised. The company also acquired 6 Qdoba restaurants from franchisees in the quarter.At January 20, 2013, the company’s system total comprised 2,255 Jack in the Box restaurants, including 1,704 franchised locations, and 636 Qdoba restaurants, including 311 franchised locations. Guidance The following guidance and underlying assumptions reflect the company’s current expectations for the second quarter ending April 14, 2013, and the fiscal year ending September 29, 2013. Fiscal 2013 is a 52-week year, with 16 weeks in the first quarter, and 12 weeks in each of the second, third and fourth quarters. Second quarter fiscal year 2013 guidance
- Same-store sales are expected to be approximately flat at Jack in the Box company restaurants versus a 5.6 percent increase in the year-ago quarter.
- Same-store sales are expected to be flat to down 2 percent at Qdoba company restaurants versus a 3.8 percent increase in the year-ago quarter.
- Same-store sales are expected to increase approximately 1.5 to 2.5 percent at Jack in the Box company restaurants.
- Same-store sales are expected to increase approximately 1.0 to 2.0 percent at Qdoba company restaurants.
- Overall commodity costs are expected to increase by approximately 2 to 3 percent for the full year.
- Restaurant operating margin for the full year is expected to range from approximately 15.5 to 16.0 percent, depending on same-store sales and commodity inflation .
- SG&A as a percentage of revenue is expected to be in the mid-14 percent range as compared to 14.7% in fiscal 2012. G&A as a percentage of system-wide sales is expected to decline to approximately 4.3% in fiscal 2013 from 4.6% in fiscal 2012.
- Impairment and other charges as a percentage of revenue are expected to be approximately 50 to 70 basis points, excluding restructuring charges.
- The company no longer provides guidance with respect to refranchising gains or proceeds.
- 20 to 25 new Jack in the Box restaurants are expected to open, including approximately 10 company locations.
- 70 to 85 new Qdoba restaurants are expected to open, of which approximately 40 to 45 are expected to be company locations.
- Capital expenditures are expected to be $95 to $105 million.
- The tax rate is expected to be approximately 35 to 36 percent.
- Operating earnings per share, which the company defines as diluted earnings per share from continuing operations on a GAAP basis excluding restructuring charges and gains from refranchising, are now expected to range from $1.48 to $1.63 in fiscal 2013 as compared to operating earnings per share of $1.20 in fiscal 2012.
- Diluted earnings per share includes approximately $0.04 of incentive payments to Jack in the Box franchisees in fiscal 2013 to complete the installation of new signage as compared to $0.11 in fiscal 2012 to complete the re-image program.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV