Jack in the Box Inc. (NASDAQ: JACK) today reported earnings from continuing operations of $23.9 million, or $0.54 per diluted share, for the first quarter ended January 20, 2013, compared with earnings from continuing operations of $12.0 million, or $0.27 per diluted share, for the first quarter of fiscal 2012.
Operating earnings per share, a non-GAAP measure which the company defines as diluted earnings per share from continuing operations on a GAAP basis excluding restructuring charges and gains from refranchising, were $0.54 per share in the first quarter of fiscal 2013 compared with $0.25 per share in the prior year quarter. Gains from refranchising contributed approximately $0.01 per diluted share for the quarter as compared with approximately $0.02 per diluted share in the prior year quarter.
A reconciliation of non-GAAP measurements to GAAP results is provided below with additional information included in the attachment to this release. Figures may not add due to rounding.
|16 Weeks Ended|
|January 20,2013||January 22,2012|
|Diluted earnings per share fromcontinuing operations – GAAP||$||0.54||$||0.27|
|Plus: Restructuring charges||0.01||−|
|Less: Gains from refranchising||(0.01||)||(0.02||)|
|Operating earnings per share – Non-GAAP||$||0.54||$||0.25|
During the first quarter of 2013, the company continued to review and refine its organization to create a structure that more efficiently supports its business model. As a result, restructuring charges of $0.8 million, or approximately $0.01 per diluted share, were recorded during the first quarter of 2013. These charges are included in “impairment and other charges, net” in the accompanying consolidated statements of earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV