The KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) was down 2% to close at 54.54, with all 24 index components showing declines.
Bank of America
Shares of Bank of America have returned 2% this year after more than doubling in 2012. In 2011, the stock tumbled 58%.
The shares trade for 0.9 times their reported Dec. 31 tangible book value of $13.36, and for 9.2 times the consensus 2014 earnings estimate of $1.29 a share, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. The consensus 2013 EPS estimate is $1.
Bank of America remains very much a recovery play, as the company works through its mortgage mess, including $28.3 billion in unresolved mortgage repurchase demands from investors as of Dec. 31. However, the company put a major dent in that number early in January, as a mortgage putback settlement with Fannie Mae (FNMA) lowered repurchase claims by roughly $12.2 billion.Following reports that Bank of America CEO Brian Moynihan earned $12.1 million in 2012, and was paid more than JPMorgan Chase (JPM) CEO James Dimon, who earned $11.5 million, Rafferty Capital Markets analyst Richard Bove released a note taking the media to task for bashing banks over executive pay. "These two banks employ more than half a million people. Yet their CEOs make about 25% of what they could make if they were shooting guards on the Los Angeles Lakers or good golfers or tennis players, let alone quarterbacks in Denver," Bove wrote. The analyst went on to say: "The AFL-CIO publishes its list of the top 25 CEOs according to compensation. The average take was $63.5 million and there were no bankers on the list." -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. BAC data by YCharts
Interested in more on Bank of America? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV