A Recent Consumer Survey Found That 68% Of Female Pepper Spray Owners Said They Bought It For Themselves. Most Pepper Spray Owners Own Mace Brand Pepper Spray Than All Other Brands Combined. (Photo: Business Wire)
One year after 17-year-old Trayvon Martin was gunned down near his Miami home by a neighborhood watch volunteer, millions of U.S. residents are embracing the non-lethal self-protection that Mace pepper spray provides.
A recent consumer survey found that 68% of female pepper spray owners said they bought it for themselves. Most pepper spray owners own Mace brand pepper spray than all other brands combined. (Photo: Business Wire)
“None of us will ever really know what happened in Miami Gardens last year,” said John McCann, President and CEO of Mace Security International. “But we do know that a tragedy could have been averted if George Zimmerman had chosen to protect himself with Mace instead of a deadly weapon.”
A recent online survey of pepper spray owners conducted by Balance Inc., a strategic design consultancy located in Cleveland, indicates that record numbers of U.S. adults now rely upon pepper spray for self-protection. The blind survey was conducted using a nationally representative sample of respondents provided by Harris Interactive, an independent, global survey firm. Commissioned by Mace Security International, the survey also revealed interesting purchasing trends among pepper spray carriers:
- More pepper spray owners own Mace brand pepper spray than all other brands combined (51% own Mace brand pepper spray)
- Almost eight out of ten users purchased the pepper spray for themselves.
- 71% of respondents said they purchased their pepper spray in the past year.
- 68% of female pepper spray owners said they bought it themselves; 32% said a spouse, family member or friend had purchased the pepper spray for them.
- 95% of male pepper spray owners said they bought it for themselves.
- 32% bought their pepper spray at a sporting goods store; 18% at a big box store; 15% at an outdoor products store; and 15% through an online retailer such as amazon.com or mace.com.
- 69% are satisfied with their pepper spray because it makes them feel safer or view the product as being effective.
- 48% of Generation Y (ages 18 – 31) pepper spray owners received it as a gift from a parent.
- 45% of Generation X (ages 32 – 47) pepper spray owners received it as a gift from a spouse.
- For 58% of Baby Boomers (ages 48 – 66), the pepper spray came from a friend or other family member.
“These survey results confirm the sales trends that Mace is a safe deterrent in these troubling times.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV