In a question-and-answer session with the MIT Technology Review, Ballmer says that, despite less-than-stellar early sales numbers, he's "super-glad they did Surface." The CEO added that that the newly integrated hardware and software is "important not just for Microsoft but for the entire Windows ecosystem."
The company's Surface tablets are a "real business", according to Ballmer. "In an environment in which there's 350 million PCs sold, I don't think Surface is going to dominate volume, but it's a real business," he said.
He elaborates:"We're building new capabilities to give the consumer what the consumer wants. Take pen computing
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV