- Protect Your Information. Exposing common information like birthdates and addresses puts consumers at a greater risk as these elements are commonly used by financial institutions for security questions and validation of identity to access accounts. Even such seemingly harmless information could be valuable to experienced identity thieves.
- Be Social, But Be Smart. Knowing that social networks are a hotbed for identity fraud activity, consumers should take extra care when deciding who to connect with and what applications to accept. Users that approve friend requests from strangers and use GPS/location based applications are far more susceptible to fraud.
- Take Caution with Mobile Computing. The convenience of online and mobile banking is here to stay, but consumers need to take the extra step of ensuring their network connection is secure and their devices have updated security. Never access your banking information through public Wi-Fi. Instead, use your carrier's cellular service.
- Be an Active Party in Detection. Identity fraud is more than just the victimization of credit card information. Take advantage of enrolling in a comprehensive identity protection service like IDENTITY GUARD® Platinum, which not only monitors credit reports but also scans public records and online activity for signs of fraudulent use of personal information. Consumers have the extra security they need to help keep them protected.
- Act Quickly. The sooner a victim learns of the fraud, the sooner their road to recovery can begin and the likelihood their losses will be reduced. Consumers must remain alert and act quickly in the event they notice suspicious activity, reporting it to their financial institutions and law enforcement.
New Report Finds More Than 12 Million Adults Were Victims Of Identity Fraud In 2012
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts