DALLAS, Feb. 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI), the most trusted brand in graphing calculator technology, "took a major step forward in our mission to improve student understanding and achievement in mathematics" with the release today of two new innovative apps: TI-Nspire™ App for iPad and TI-Nspire™ CAS App for iPad, said Melendy Lovett, president of Texas Instruments Education Technology.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/54045-texas-instruments-unveils-breakthrough-ti-nspire-apps-for-ipad
"The apps fill a critical need for an all-in-one math teaching and learning tool designed specifically for the iPad," said Lovett. "TI is extending the proven benefits of TI-Nspire technology to the tablet platform. TI's goals are to provide educators with the most powerful math apps for the iPad and to engage students while helping them reach a deeper conceptual understanding of math. Beyond the new Apps for iPad, TI continues to support teachers by providing world-class professional development, and access to free classroom-ready activities for use with the TI-Nspire Apps for iPad; activities can be integrated seamlessly into curriculum and are available at TI's Math Nspired website."
The TI-Nspire Apps for iPad were designed and refined in collaboration with researchers and classroom teachers, including Stephanie Ogden, Dean of Research and Development at L&N STEM Academy in Knoxville, TN, who also teaches Pre-Calculus, AP* Calculus, AP* Statistics and STEM."The TI-Nspire Apps for iPad are truly transparent technology, allowing students to touch and interact with math with little awareness of the tool in their hands. Students experience mathematics more directly and they are beyond engaged—they are excited about learning," Ogden said. Unique features of the apps, which meet critical curriculum needs from 7 th grade through college, include:
- All-in-one functionality for performing calculations in proper math notation; graphing and exploring functions, equations and inequalities; constructing and exploring geometric figures; creating, plotting and analyzing data in lists and spreadsheets.
- Interactive keyboard that toggles between math notation and QWERTY configurations for placing notes and instructions alongside problems.
- Dynamically linked multiple representations of problems that encourage students to make crucial connections by observing how equations change as they touch and interact with shapes, graphs and objects on the screen.
- Familiar operations for creating and saving documents and sharing them using email, iTunes®, and other file sharing options.
- Interaction with the built-in iPad camera interface that enables students to take photos, import them into the app and overlay graphs and equations on them to illustrate abstract math principles in the physical world.