UC Irvine Extension Launches New Specialized Studies In Digital Journalism Program
IRVINE, Calif., Feb. 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The University of California, Irvine Extension announced today an innovative online Specialized Studies program in Digital Journalism in response to the explosive growth of online media, and the resulting need for career journalists to transition from traditional to new digital media platforms. Writers, journalists, and publishers looking to enhance their careers and migrate to real-time content management and publishing utilizing online media outlets will benefit from this program.
"With the immediacy of the news cycles, blogs, wikis, and social media outlets such as Facebook and Twitter, the way news content is gathered, reported and disseminated has completely changed," said Melanie Mitchell, director of management, marketing and business programs at UC Irvine Extension. "Our Digital Journalism program allows participants to combine their journalistic skills with the practical tools needed to successfully contribute to this digital media transformation."
Two free webinars and two online courses will be offered this spring to provide professionals with a comprehensive understanding of how to gather, write and disseminate news and information across multiple online platforms.The free webinars are as follows:
- Digital Journalism Education Planning Session : On Wednesday, February 27 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. PST, participants may join a webinar providing an overview of the program, explaining how UC Irvine Extension has worked with professionals from leading digital publications to help career journalists learn how to take advantage of the variety of digital media outlets necessary in today's diverse news marketplace.
- Marketing Your Online "Beat" Information Session: Taking place on Wednesday, March 13 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. PST, this webinar will present participants with an overview of the ways in which journalists develop their 'beat,' creating a network of online sources and deepening their knowledge of social media promotional techniques. The webinar will also include a sneak peek into the spring course, "Finding and Marketing Your Online 'Beat.'"
- Making Your Journalistic Notebook Public ( April 1 – May 5): Technology has fundamentally changed the ways in which news is gathered, produced and distributed. The vast array of social networking tools now available on the web, including Facebook, Twitter, blogs, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest, G+ and Skype are all critical outlets that journalists can utilize to find sources, build content, and promote stories. The course will help students identify how to organize their online journalism toolkit and select the appropriate methods to tell their stories. Instructor Kevin Hanegan, B.S., is the author of four related programming books and is currently the Director of Educational Services for TIBCO Software.
- Finding and Marketing Your Online Beat ( April 29 – June 9): This course focuses on the last decade of transition in the journalism world. Rapid technology changes have deeply affected journalism, bringing multiple opportunities for reporters to distinguish themselves. In order to survive in an ever-evolving world, today's journalist or writer needs to have at least one area of expertise; their "beat." Instructor Deidre Woollard, M.F.A. will examine the various forms an online "beat" can take, as well as how to develop a "beat," court sources, deepen your knowledge and ultimately, how to get online content read.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV