NEW YORK (
Gold for April delivery was falling $20.20 to $1,584 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The
"It's just the downward momentum from earlier in the week; we saw some macro hedge fund selling, but this wasn't offset by physical buying in Asia," said Howard Wen, a precious metals analyst at HSBC Bank USA. "It has picked up recently from China, but it's not enough to offset that pressure from macro funds."
The yellow metal last week sank in four of five trading sessions in thin trade volumes as China was absent from the gold market for the Lunar New Year holiday.Though Chinese traders re-entered the market this week, gold prices have continued their skid and dipped below the $1,600 an ounce threshold.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV