Post-DUI Insurance Is Complicated
Question: Why is everything regarding license reinstatement after a DUI so hard? I know I did something wrong with getting a DUI but the SR-22 insurance requirement is such a pain. I found out my insurer doesn't file the form, so I have to figure out what to do now. I just want my license back. I'm in Florida.
Answer: It's true: Life is complicated after a conviction for driving under the influence (DUI). You not only have to deal with the court case against you but also penalties placed against your license and changes in your required auto insurance coverage. (See “Calculate your DUI limit: Avoid a car insurance disaster”)
If you're at the place now where you are able to reinstate your driver's license, then a SR-22 is required in most states as part of the process. The SR-22 isn't special insurance, but a form that your car insurance company files with the state to verify your coverages. (See “What you need to know about SR-22 and car insurance”)
You, however, mentioned that you live in Florida, which is one of the few states that require an FR-44 instead of an SR-22 after a DUI. A FR-44 is also a certificate of financial responsibility filed with the state, but the mandated liability limits are higher than those required with just the SR-22.In Florida, when a FR-44 is required you must obtain auto insurance coverage that includes liability limits of 100/300/50, which stands for:
- Bodily injury liability coverage of up to $100,000 per person
- Bodily injury liability coverage of up to $300,000 per accident
- Property damage liability limit of $50,000 per accident
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV