SILVER SPRING, Md., Feb. 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Econo Lodge hotels, franchised by Choice Hotels International, one of the world's largest hotel companies, today announced it will be the first national economy hotel chain to promote Green practices across an entire lodging portfolio. All Econo Lodge hotels in the U.S. will implement the Choice Hotels Room to be Green (RTBG) program in 2013. The program is designed to reduce environmental impact and waste, meet the changing expectations of today's environmentally conscious guests and potentially lower operational expenses, (including energy and water costs) at the property level.
Econo Lodge, which currently has almost 900 domestic hotel properties open or under development, will require every hotel to implement the RTBG program. The RTBG program, which is available to all hotels in the Choice Hotels system, was developed based on extensive research. The program outlines three mandatory elements of its Room to be Green initiative; additionally, the program includes optional steps that each property may undertake with its Green practices. The following three elements will be mandatory for all Econo Lodge hotels:
- Energy Conservation: Hotels must use energy efficient indoor lighting solutions, such as compact fluorescent (CFL) or LED bulbs in all guest fixtures, excluding ceiling lights.
- Water Conservation: Hotels must offer all guests a towel / linen re-use program.
- Recycling and Waste Reduction: Hotels must also provide a recycling program for staff and guest use.
"The Econo Lodge brand is proud to be rolling out this program – it shows that at the economy level we take sustainability and operational efficiency very seriously. Going Green is important to our guests who range from millennial through to baby boomers -- they are conscious of how we treat the earth. We listened to what they wanted and what our franchisees wanted and we are delivering," stated Craig Mustard, head of domestic brand management for Econo Lodge.
Across the Econo Lodge portfolio, this conservation initiative could potentially reduce annual water usage by six million gallons and energy usage by twelve million kWh (*calculations noted below). Econo Lodge is also making a contribution to plant 817 trees (representing one for each of the Econo Lodge hotels currently open) in tandem with American Forests, an organization dedicated to the protection and restoration of forests around the world.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV