DALLAS, Feb. 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE:NASDAQ) today introduced two 3-phase, brushless DC (BLDC) motor drivers that allow designers to spin motors in minutes rather than months. Traditional BLDC motor designs require five to 10 components, along with firmware. The sensorless 5-V, 680-mA DRV10866 and the 12-V, 1.5-A DRV11873 cuts this component count to one with no firmware required, significantly reducing board space and system costs, while helping customers speed their time to market. The devices also provide the lowest operating voltage and standby current to reduce power consumption by up to 75 percent. For more information or to place an order, visit www.ti.com/drv10866-pr.
- Highly integrated: Single motor driver eliminates the need for external gate drivers, inverters, position detection and feedback, along with a microcontroller (MCU) and firmware, to cut board space, system cost and development time.
- Spins motors in minutes: Utilizes TI InstaSPIN-FAN motor solutions™, a fully protected robust solution with no coding and very few external components needed to get motors spinning.
- Reduces power consumption by up to 75 percent: Wide operating voltage range of 1.65 V to 5.5 V and low quiescent current of 5 uA extends the battery life of portable devices, such as toothbrushes and shavers, compared to existing solutions.
- Flexibility to add advanced control: Can be combined with a TI MSP430™ MCU for designs requiring user interface and closed-loop speed control.
- Robust, reliable and fully protected: Advanced on-chip protection, including over-current, over-temperature, shoot-through and under-voltage lock-out, increases system reliability.
Tools and support
In addition to the motor driver, the DRV10866EVM and DRV11873EVM evaluation modules (EVMs) include a simple TLC555 timer, frequency generator output, PWM input and motor connection to enable fast, code-free motor evaluation. Both EVMs ship with schematics and gerber files for a suggested retail price of US$25.Support is available on the Motor Driver Forum in the TI E2E TM Community, where engineers can ask questions and get answers from TI experts. Package, availability and pricing The DRV10866 and DRV11837 are available today in a 3-mm by 3-mm SON package for a suggested retail price of $0.39 and 16-pin TSSOP for suggested retail price of $0.89, respectively, in 1,000-unit quantities. Le arn more about TI's motor control solutions by visiting the links below:
- Order samples of the DRV10866: www.ti.com/drv10866-sample-pr
- Order samples of the DRV11873: www.ti.com/drv11873-sample-pr.
- Buy the DRV10866EVM from the TI eStore: www.ti.com/drv10866evm2-buy-pr.
- Buy the DRV11873EVM from the TI eStore: www.ti.com/drv11873evm2-buy-pr.
- Download the DRV10866 datasheet: www.ti.com/drv10866-ds-pr.
- Download the DRV11873 datasheet: www.ti.com/drv11873-ds-pr
- Check out motor drive and control selection guides, training, videos, application notes and block diagrams: www.ti.com/motor-pr.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV