CHICAGO, Feb. 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- ComEd announced that it completed the replacement or reinforcement of more than 2700 wood poles in its service territory in 2012, a 200 percent increase over previous years. Inspecting, replacing and reinforcing poles makes ComEd's electric system more storm resistant and reduces customer power outages. In addition to reinforcement and replacement, ComEd inspected and treated more than 137,000 poles.
ComEd announced this goal early in 2012 as part of the grid modernization program under the Energy Infrastructure Modernization Act (EIMA), which was passed in 2011 by the Illinois General Assembly.
"Utility poles are the foundation for our above-ground system," said Terence Donnelly, executive vice president and chief operating officer, ComEd. "This work is critically important in strengthening the electric grid. We are improving the reliability of our electric system for our customers, which includes preparing for damaging storms."
ComEd uses treated wood poles for its distribution system. Distribution poles are typically up to 70 feet tall.ComEd is investing $2.6 billion to upgrade and improve the reliability of its system as part of EIMA. The utility has been working to improve its infrastructure and add smart technologies, bringing benefits to customers throughout northern Illinois. Major accomplishments in 2012 include:
- Installing over 470 distribution automation devices, or "smart switches," which avoided 82,000 customer interruptions last year
- Replacing or treating more than 464 miles of underground residential cable –a 100 percent increase over previous years
- Replacing over 46 miles of mainline cable– around four times the annual average
- Assessing over 8,000 manholes and refurbishing more than 4,500.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV