Office Depot, Inc. (NYSE: ODP), a leading global provider of office supplies and services, today announced results for the fiscal quarter and full year ended December 29, 2012.
FOURTH QUARTER RESULTS 1
Total Company sales for the fourth quarter of 2012 were approximately $2.6 billion, down 12% compared to the fourth quarter of 2011. Sales for the fourth quarter of 2012, on a constant currency basis, were down approximately 11% versus prior year. The 53 rd week added approximately $140 million of sales in the fourth quarter of 2011. Excluding the benefit of the additional selling week in 2011, fourth quarter of 2012 constant currency sales would have been down 7%.
The Company reported a net loss, after preferred stock dividends, of $17 million or $0.06 per diluted share in the fourth quarter of 2012, compared to net earnings, after preferred stock dividends, of $12 million or $0.04 per share in the fourth quarter of 2011.
- Fourth quarter of 2012 results included approximately $12 million of pre-tax charges primarily related to restructuring activities and actions to improve future operating performance, and approximately $9 million related to non-cash asset impairment charges in the North American Retail Division.
- Excluding the restructuring and impairment charges (after tax), fourth quarter of 2012 net earnings, after preferred stock dividends, would have been approximately $1 million or zero cents per share.
- Fourth quarter of 2011 results included approximately $23 million of pre-tax charges primarily related to restructuring activities and actions to improve future operating performance. Fourth quarter of 2011 results also included a $24 million tax benefit related to the reversal of an uncertain tax position accrual and the release of a valuation allowance. Excluding charges and tax benefits, net earnings, after preferred stock dividends, would have been $8 million or $0.03 per share in the fourth quarter of 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV