Of course, the DOJ has had some bigger fish in recent days, for one, making sure that Americans aren't paying too much for beer given
Frankly, I'm also a bit surprised that more has not been made of the US Airways (LCC)-American Airlines merger, which is expected by many to sail through a DOJ antitrust review. While there's not a great deal of overlap between the routes that these airlines fly, the merger will result in the world's largest carrier, in an industry that is extremely capital intensive, in which barriers to entry are huge. While the merger makes sense, and should be allowed to move forward, in my opinion, there are some potential ironies. The DOJ blocked a beer company merger, in order to protect Americans from the possibility of paying higher beer prices, but is likely to let an airline merger, seen by some as creating a decrease in competition, proceed.
Now, we wait with bated breath to see whether two office supply companies, purveyors of pencils, paper, and folders will be allowed to proceed with their merger.
Stay tuned.At the time of publication, Heller had no positions in stocks mentioned. Follow @jonmhellerCFA This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV